With the club championship nearing completion, here are some some facts about the 2017 championship races, which I hope will be interesting to our members.
A total of 39 club members have raced at least one race out of the 20 races which were selected to be included in the club championships this year. Over the 20 championship races this averages out at just under 9 runners per race.
With only four races remaining, it look like the only race where there will be no club representation will be the Wrexham Marathon on the 12th March 2017.
The club championship races have ranged in distance from 5k/3miles (m) to 42k/26m, and a breakdown of the races are below (number of participants in brackets):
- 5k/3m – Rhyl (5), Llanfair PG (12), Race the Train (15), Penrhyn Parkrun (16) and the ladies XC race in Bangor (1).
- 8k/5m – Breakwater race (15), Abergele 5m race (6).
- 9k/5.5m – Borders League – Birkenhead (10), mens XC race in Bangor (8).
- 10k/6m – Rhostryfan (12), Deiniolen (9), Faenol (12), Caernarfon (9), Twin Piers (10) and Nick Beer (12).
- 11k – Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race (2).
- 16k/10m Penmaenmawr Fell race (5), Rhyl 10m race (2).
- 21k/13m Village Bakery half marathon (3), Anglesey half marathon (12).
- 42k/26m – Wrexham marathon (0)
The championship included weekend and evening races with a mixture of road and trail/XC surfaces, and a breakdown of the races are below:
- Evening – Rhostryfan, Deiniolen, Faenol, Llanfair PG, Race the Train.
- All other races were weekend races.
- Trail/XC – Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race, Penmaenmawr Fell race, XC in Bangor.
- All other races were road races.
Apart from the Wrexham marathon (no entries), the races with the least club entries are the Fairy Freckled Cow Trail Race and Rhyl 10m race with 2 club members.
The races with the most club entries were the Race the Train and Breakwater race with 15 club members.
The Penrhyn Parkrun attracted 16 club members, however as members had the whole of December to complete the run, I have not included it, due to that fact that the race was not run on a single day.
If individuals ran the minimum 7 races as part of the championship the shortest distance they would have covered would be 41k/25.5m for the ladies and 45k/28m for the men (difference due to XC ladies and men’s course lengths). The longest distance would be 137k/85m.
The projected total distance covered by club members in championship races will be 1664k/1034m (if nobody withdraws from the remaining races).